Resolution of 3 April 2015
On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Abortion Act in Belgium
The abortion service's ambition is a society where abortion is no longer a taboo, nor stigmatised.
Abortion at the request of the woman up to 12 weeks gestation has been laid down in a law in Belgium since 3 April 1990. Furthermore, abortion assistance is reimbursed by the health insurance since 2002.
Because every woman in Belgium should be entitled to an accessible, safe and affordable abortion, we ask:
- To remove abortion from the criminal code,
so that women and first aid workers can no longer be criminally prosecuted.
- To allow pregnancy termination at the request of the woman after 12 weeks gestation,
so that women with such a request for help can also be treated in Belgium.
- To provide neutral information via the government's information mediums,
so that correct information about unwanted pregnancies and abortion help is available to everyone.
- To incorporate the subjects of unwanted pregnancy and abortion into the curriculum of medical, paramedical and psychosocial courses,
so that every woman with an unwanted pregnancy is treated professionally and unprejudiced.
- To convert the national evaluation commission into an independent, scientific commission,
so that scientifically substantiated data is available.